Friday, October 30, 2009

Ubuntu part 2

I upgraded to Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala yesterday here at work. I think it took about 6 hours. Most of that was probably due to being throttled here and how busy the download site was. I didn't mind.

I like the new login screen but I don't really see too many differences.

When I got home, I decided to try and get the wireless working again. I went to System/Administration/Hardware Drivers and it listed a couple of wireless drivers. I installed one of them and poof - it worked. I was able to login to my router and surf the web.

I then decided to try and get the speaker/headphones problem fixed. Sound comes out of both. I found an Ubuntu wiki page for this model of laptop and started looking around for a solution. One solution was to install Alsamixeguri. I installed it and poof - it worked. Sort of. Now sound never comes out of the speakers. But that is fine with me.

So right now I'm listening to The Doors from my 16g usb drive using VLC.

My next problem to fix is to figure out how to keep from having to change the resolv.conf file so I can get to the firewall here at work. I have to change it every day.

I played around with adding/removing stuff from the panel. Now I have launch buttons for Chrome and TweetDeck.

I installed NetBeans the other day so I played around with the BigDecimal code that JDL emailed to the jug.

So far I'm still liking Ubuntu.

1 comment:

EVA MAHONEY said...

You are such a wild man!