Thursday, September 4, 2008

Struggles with 'our' architecture

After reading Mark's blog entry Practice makes perfect, I decided to try and write more.
-------
I've spent the last couple of weeks dealing with multiple projects (security, hibernate, spring, common, etc..). I think I've got the hang of Maven pom files and their 'hard' versions and snapshots. But I'm concerned with getting multiple versions/snapshots of the same project in my local maven_repo when I do the 'clean rad6' script. This script goes and gets all the stuff a particular project needs and loads it into the maven_repo.

My main project may need 5 other projects. These 5 projects might need the same 4 core projects but each might be pointing to different versions of the core projects. The projects are generally component type things so they should be fine. I guess it will all work, just seems wrong.

The dependency tree script does a good job of showing me what projects depend on what versions of projects which depend on what versions of projects..... argh. It gets convoluted pretty quick here.
-------------
Another one of the tasks I struggled with was trying to figure out what Cobol fields in legacy map to our domain objects. Usually it's pretty easy (map the Cobol field from legacy to the buffer we get then map that to our 'Cobol-to-domain' properties file which tells me what object it is in and what it is called) but no1club was not. The property files were in common, the domain objects were in another project and the Cobol names didn't match. Richard is having fun with the same stuff. I hope his head doesn't explode.
--------
Using Working Sets in Rad has made working with our projects easier. But I've noticed that when I go to edit a Working Set, sometimes projects get unchecked. If I don't notice it while editing the Working Set I have to go back and add it back in when I do notice something missing. As usual, I haven't dorked around with it to find a pattern. I thought at one point that if I had a project selected/highlighted that it would drop off the list but it doesn't happen all the time (if ever).
-----------
Your reward for getting this far:
At my funeral, instead of people saying how great or terrible a person I was, I want them to say, "Hey! He's moving! He's still alive!" (plagiarized from a Hustler magazine)

No comments: