Wednesday, October 8, 2008

NetBeans 6.1 - part 1 (of 1)

I started this a few weeks ago and never came back to it....

I installed NetBeans last night so I could play around with. If I ever do a presentation at the Okc Java Users Group, I thought it might be interesting to use NetBeans.

The install went pretty quick. The download was only 223mbs. I thought it would be twice that.

So I fired it up and figured out how to create a project (not bad). It has different types of projects that you can create and Swing was one of them. So I had it create a Swing app for me. I haven't looked at Swing in 6 years. That was using WSAD and their designer sucked.

It opened up the classes it created for the DesktopApplication, about window, and controller. I added a button on the panel with designer. This designer view really makes me think of VB or Powerbuilder. Just drag and drop and edit the different attributes in the Properties tab.

Editing the code is different enough from Rad(eclipse) that I am really struggling to figure out how to do stuff. Instead of Organizing Imports with ctrl-shift-O, it's Fix Imports ctrl-shift-I. The private methods in some classes are uneditable but can be changed by updating the properties.

I don't think I'll look into NetBeans anymore. And Paul Smith and I are going to talk about Collections at the December jug. What fun.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good to hear you'll be presenting. I hope I can make it.

good post, you should check out Griffon and see what you think of that for Swing development.

laterz

EVA MAHONEY said...

Does this mean you won't be swinging any time soon?