Laura got me a 16g thumb drive for our anniversary. It's big enough to hold a lot of music.
Now I use MedaiMonkey to listen to music that is stored on the thumb drive. (imho, mm is much better than MS Media Player)
Anyway, once in a while, I can't get the darn thing (usb drive) to work. Windows won't connect to it properly. I think I figured out a way to get it working in Windows XP. (I know "well there's your problem")
I go to the "Safely Remove Hardware" window. By clicking the "Display device components" I can see a yellow circle with an ! in it...
I click on the USB Device and click on "Properties":
And the I change the "Device Usage" to "Do not use this device(disable)" and click on OK
Then I click on "Properties" again and switch the "Device Usage" back to "enabled" and viola! It starts working.